Monday, March 9, 2015

Mindfulness and Wellness

I have had a few conversations recently that have touched on the topic of mindfulness and wellness.
@h_james18 has been blogging about her learning journey on the topic of meditation. In this post she mentions that it's a difficult thing to learn publicly. She talks about "busy brain," which I definitely have (although stopping coffee has helped). She also refers to this TED Talk:


A friend of mine teaches meditation, and I have long been meaning to go to a session. I suppose this is an example of the glorification of busy, so I need to be cognizant of that.
I look forward to seeing what my colleagues come up with in researching wellness. From what I heard, at least one person is looking into student wellness, and another is looking into teacher wellness. One of my instructors from last semester is doing research about new teacher burnout.
Lifehacks, such as 20 daily habits of highly organized people, typically emphasize simplification to more reductionist/minimalist
ways of being.

I need to get more sleep. The trouble is, I find that when I am in the flow state (which tends to happen in the evening) I have a hard time slowing down and going to bed. I have read a lot of articles like this list of 10 things to do before sleep. (By the way, I love lists about as much as Scaredy Squirrel does.) Maybe these tips from ASAP Science will help me:

No comments:

Post a Comment